Text Size


About the Building Department
The staff of the Building Department is ready to help customers with any questions they may have regarding requirements for building or remodeling in College Place. We provide them with comprehensive information on how to apply for permits and what information is required for a complete application. We strive to provide the consumer with a positive environment that promotes safe and quality results for their projects. 

The Building Department is responsible for addressing your safety in the built environment by providing residential and commercial plan review and inspections associated with building permits. Our charge is to work with contractors and homeowners to assure that their project(s) meet or exceed required building, mechanical, and plumbing code requirements. The Building Department's focus is to promote awareness of codes relative to fire / life safety and enforce those codes. 

Our staff is a valuable source of information to help guide you through the permit process and provide you with the technical information you may need. For inspections on the following business day, call (509) 394-8522 before 4:00 pm.

NOTICE: Prior to any commencement of work, all applications must be reviewed, approved and payment made to the City.  Violations may cause additional fees or impact.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.How and where can I apply for an electrical permit?
You can apply for an electrical permit by going online, clicking on "Trades and Licensing," and then "Licenses and Permits," or you can call 1 (800) 547-9411. There is also a kiosk located at 310 A (Airport) Street in Walla Walla, Washington, at the Small Business Administration Building.
2.What are the requirements for installing a landscape sprinkler systems?
A permit is required to install a landscape sprinkler system. The permit cost is $28.35 and includes the necessary inspections. The city needs to inspect the connection to the water supply to make sure there is a device to protect the water supply. Such a device is called an atmospheric vacuum breaker. This device must be inspected to verify that the water supply is adequately protected against backflow.
3.What are the setbacks for building a storage shed or garage in the rear yard?
Setbacks are primarily designated by zoning within the city. Depending on which zone of the city you are in, the Community Development Department can tell you the zoning setbacks. There is also a limit to how much of your total lot you can cover. You can download our brochures on the website or call the Community Development Department at (509) 394-8524 for more detailed information.