Text Size

Animal Control

 Animal Control

Lost, Found, or Stray Dogs                                                                                         

Special Enforcement Officer Ron Nordman responds to animal control calls for service within the City of College Place. When unavailable, College Place police officers may be involved on an ad hoc basis. For domesticated animal control complaints, please call the non-emergency dispatch line at 509-527-1960.

The following procedure occurs when a lost or stray dog is impounded by the Blue Mountain Humane Society: Whenever possible an attempt will be made to locate and return the dog to its owner. If the animal is allowed to constantly run at large after the owner has been warned and / or issued a citation previously, the dog will be transported to the Blue Mountain Humane Society ("BMHS") of Walla Walla, which is located at 7 East George Street in Walla Walla. Their telephone number is (509) 525-2452. 

The police department highly recommends that when any College Place resident loses a pet, whether a dog, cat, or any other domestic animal, they contact the Humane Society at (509) 525-2452.

Please remember that if an animal is taken to BMHS and is not claimed by the third day, it becomes the property of the Blue Mountain Humane Society and may be adopted out.

R. Nordman

Ron Nordman
Special Enforcement Officer

Dog License Procedure

College Place Municipal code 6.04.030 requires licensing of a dog over 6 months of age that resides within the city limits. The fee to obtain a College Place dog license is $15 if the dog is altered (spayed / neutered). If the dog is unaltered, the license fee is $30. You will be asked to provide proof of current rabies vaccination and proof the dog has been altered. The license is good for the calendar year. The information we obtain will help us locate the dog’s owner if the dog is lost and subsequently found; it also enables us to verify, without delay, that the dog is current on rabies vaccinations if there is report of a dog bite involving your dog. 

Dog licenses may be obtained by contacting the College Place Police Department during normal business hours. We start selling dog licenses in December for the next year.  You have until March 1st to obtain the current year's license; after March 1st, there will be an additional $10 Late Fee charged per animal.

City ordinance 17.54.020 provides a table of minimum standards for animals and states, “No more than three dogs or cats, or any combination thereof, 4 months of age or older, shall be permitted per dwelling unit”. At the present time, the city of College Place does not license cats.

The College Place Municipal Code is now available online. Visit the site to learn more about the regulation of dogs within the city limits.