Concealed Pistol License

Applying for a New Permit

How do I apply?
You may apply for a concealed pistol license at:
  • College Place Police Department
    619 S. College Ave.
    College Place, WA 99324
Is there a form to fill out?
You can print and complete at home
: Concealed Pistol License Application  or stop by our office to pick up a copy. 

Application hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm weekdays (8:30 to 4:00 pm on Friday), excluding holidays. The initial application process takes around 30 minutes.  A new permit requires we fingerprint you; fingerprint hours at 8:30am-11am, Monday-Friday, 1:30pm-4pm, Monday-Thursday, and 1:30pm-3pm on Friday.

Application Requirements

  • You must be 21 years of age or older.
  • You must be a citizen of the United States or have an Alien Firearms Certificate issued by the State of Washington Division of Professional Licensing in Olympia. Their phone number is (360) 664-6616.
  • You must live in the City of College Place or outside the State of Washington.
  • You need to have valid picture ID (a Washington State Drivers License or ID card is preferred).

Your application may be denied if:

  • You have ever been convicted in adult court or adjudicated in a juvenile court of one of the prohibitive crimes
    • Conviction of adjudication for any felony offense in this state or elsewhere.
    • Any of the following crimes when committed by one family or household member against another, committed on or after July 1, 1993:
      • Assault in the fourth degree
      • Coercion
      • Stalking
      • Reckless endangerment in the second degree
      • Criminal Trespass in the first degree
      • Violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from a residence.
  • You are currently on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentence for any serious offense as defined in RCW 9.41.010
  • You are the subject of an outstanding arrest warrant from any court for any crime.
  • You have been convicted of three or more violations of Washington’s firearms laws within any five-year period.
  • You have had a firearm forfeited within the past year for a drug or alcohol incident pursuant to RCW 9.41.098(1)(e).
  • You are under a court order or an injunction concerning the possession of a firearm.
  • You have had a concealed pistol license and it is in revoked status.
  • You have ever been confined in a mental health facility for more than fourteen days for treatment, or committed as criminally insane.
There is a non-refundable fee of $49.25 due at the time you turn in your application. You will need to be fingerprinted so it may be more convenient for you to call ahead and ensure we have someone available to take your fingerprints (we provide the necessary fingerprint cards). From this point, there is a 30-day waiting period while a background check is conducted.

Concealed Pistol License for Out-of-State Residents

If your state meets the requirements of Washington State’s reciprocity law RCW 9.41.073, then your concealed weapon may be recognized in Washington. Please visit the Washington State Attorney General’s Office web page to check for Concealed Weapon Reciprocity.  However the Police Department does issue permits to out-of-state residents.

To obtain a weapons permit, you must appear in person at the College Place Police Department. The requirements and fees are the same as listed above under Applying for a New Permit. However the waiting period is 90 days.

Renewal of an out-of-state permit is the same procedure and fees as for a Washington resident.


Checks or money orders are made payable to the City of College Place. If you have further questions, you can call the Records Unit at (509) 394-8550.

Renewing a Concealed Pistol License

If you are a citizen of College Place or a resident of another state, your concealed pistol license may be renewed up to 90 days prior to the expiration date through 90 days after the expiration date. If you apply on or before the expiration date, the fee is $32; if you apply after the expiration date, the fee is $42. If you apply 91 days or more after the expiration date you will have to start the process over with a new application fee. You will need to bring your current license and picture ID. Your renewed concealed pistol license will be issued as soon as possible.

You can renew your Concealed Pistol License at:
  • College Place Police Department
    619 S. College Ave.
    College Place, WA 99324
Lost Concealed Pistol License

Replacing your lost, stolen, or destroyed concealed pistol license (issued by the College Place Police Department) can only be done in person during regular business hours.

To issue a replacement license you will need to bring your picture ID. There is a $10 replacement fee for this service.

Active-Duty Military CPL Renewel Procedure

•           If you live outside the city limits of College Place, but live in Washington State, you will need to apply at the jurisdiction in which you reside.
What is required: 

  1. Complete page 1 of the Concealed Pistol License (CPL) form found on website: (Or we can email the form to you). Be sure to write down your current CPL number. 
  2.  We need:
    • A notarized color photocopy of your Military ID and your Washington Driver’s License.
    • A copy of your Orders designating the specific period of assignment, reassignment, or deployment for out-of-state military service. 
3.  You must apply for renewal within 90 days before or after the expiration date of the CPL. Applying after the expiration incurs a $10 late fee.

 4. Mail the completed CPL and notarized photocopies, and a copy of your Orders, along with the $32 fee (or, if after the expiration, but within 90 days after, $42 fee) to:

College Place Police Department
Attn: Records
619 S College Ave.
College Place, WA  99324

Please indicate if you want us to mail the renewed CPL and, if so, to what address; we cannot release your CPL to anyone other than you.

For More Information About Firearms Laws

If you would like to obtain more information pertaining to Washington State firearms laws, visit: WA-DOL-FIREARMS or call the Department of Licensing in Olympia at 360-664-6616.

You may also write to:

  • Department of Licensing
    Division of Professional Licensing
    P.O. Box 9469
    Olympia, Washington 98504

If you would like to obtain a copy of federal firearms laws, please call the Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) in Seattle, at (206) 389-6800.


If you have any questions, please contact us by phone, 509-394-8550 or by email: